The background paper seeks to inform the position of the IFRC on the key priority areas of intervention in the coming years in the field of climate change and urbanization to ensure that future evolving risks are effectively integrated into resilience building activities.
The paper was prepared for 9th Asia Pacific Regional Conference of the Red Cross and Red Crescent, Beijing, China, 2014.
The document outlines:
- Brief description of the background to this issue in the International Federation
- Current situation/activities of the National Societies in respect to the topic
- Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats analysis from National societies on the issue
- Reflections and lessons learned
- Looking into the Future
Usage: Policy reference
Audience: National Society Leaders and Managers
The powerpoint presentation discusses about:
- Resilience as an integrated approach
- Relevance of climate change in urban DRR
- PAPE and climate smart participatory approaches
- PAPE approaches to communicating climate change
The presentation discusses about community participatory methods, making community risk reduction plan climate smart, etc.
Climate Change and PAPE design: When to talk about climate change?
- Climate change is not always relevant to all urban contexts
- Putting too much emphasis on climate change can lead to people attributing all their problems to climate change!
- Even when climate change is an issue, it may not be appropriate to go into much detail
- Participatory methods of PAPE approach are key
Usage: Guidance for implementation
Audience: National Society staff and volunteers
- Introduction to Behavior Change Communication (BCC) (see the powerpoint presentation)
- Linkage to PAPE (see the powerpoint presentation)
- Key Approaches in PAPE (see the powerpoint presentation)
- Key messages / How to develop effective and consistent messages (see the powerpoint presentation)
- Theories of behavior change (see the powerpoint presentation)
- Community Engagement Approach (see the powerpoint presentation on community participation and community engagement and accountability)
- Innovative PAPE/BCC strategies: Orientation to positive deviance (Conceptual game and story) | Use of social media to reinforce PAPE campaigns
- Monitoring and evaluation of PAPE campaign (see the powerpoint presentation)
This climate change adaptation flipchart for Red Cross Youth is to be used together with the manual.
Limitation: The flipchart is in Indonesian language only.
This flipchart is equipped with a manual in Indonesian language.
This climate change adaptation manual for Red Cross Youth aims to guide youth and volunteer members of the PMI on climate change and its impacts particularly towards vulnerable communities and their anticipation as well as adaptation.
Limitation: The manual is in Indonesian language only.
This manual is equipped with a flipchart in Indonesian language.