The regional perspective
The IFRC aims to strengthen the Livelihood [link to FedNet, log in and password are required] approaches of member National Societies’ across the Asia Pacific. Having a readiness to focus on earlier on rebuilding livelihoods will limit the negative impacts of risky coping strategies, kick-start early recovery and contribute to the overall community resilience to natural disasters and other shocks.
Cash transfer based programming (CTP) [link to FedNet, log in and password are required] is an effective and flexible mechanism to save lives, protect livelihoods and strengthen recovery from disasters that not only improves choice and dignity for disaster-affected communities, but also can be quicker, greener and more cost-effective than in-kind based assistance. It can stimulate local livelihoods, economies and markets and ensure that harm is not done to the local economy through our humanitarian response.
The IFRC will continue to seek appropriate approaches to delivering relief assistance, diversifying its response options by mainstreaming livelihoods and cash into its relief and recovery programmes so that disaster affected communities are able to meet their diverse needs in the most appropriate, timely and dignified way.
Livelihoods and cash transfer programming related online coursed available on IFRC Learning Platform are:
- Asia Pacific Regional approach: Livelihoods & Cash Transfer Programming (Draft)
- IFRC Guidelines for Livelihoods programming
- Cash Transfer Programming – Guidelines for mainstreaming and preparedness
- Cash Transfer Programming engaging National Society leadership – Guidance and materials to support internal advocacy
- Guidelines for Cash Transfer Programming
- Cash in Emergencies Toolkit
- Cash Transfer Programming in Urban Emergencies – A Toolkit for Practitioners
- Cash and voucher in relief and recovery: Red Cross Red Crescent good practices
- Bangladesh: Exploring mobile money transfers through private partnerships in Bangladesh – CTP case study
- Myanmar: CTP case studies – stories from Kalay Township of Daw San Thida Tun, Daw Tin Oo, and U Pyar Gyi
- Viet Nam: Cash transfer programming in emergencies: A success story from the Viet Nam Red Cross
- Viet Nam: Cash transfer programming in emergencies
- Cash transfer programming (CTP) quick guide series:
- Report of assessment of effectiveness of the cash transfer programming (CTP) in relief activities of Viet Nam Red Cross
- Report of assessment of household kits in emergency operations by Viet Nam Red Cross