Lao Red Cross has implemented a wide range of activities in schools in the past years in partnership with government, PNSs as well as Civil Society Organizations. This includes activities in Disaster Risk Reduction and Health which all contribute to creating safe leaning environments for children. Recognizing children as agents of change, there is also an opportunity to invest in their potential to reach wider communities and enhance community safety and resilience in the country.
Since 2014, Lao Red Cross is also a consortium partner of a DIPECHO-funded project which includes school-based activities under the technical leadership of Save the Children. LRC is leading the implementation of school activities in Khammuane province, also based on previous experience in that province, as well as Savannakhet and Salavan provinces, working hand in hand with the Ministry of Education and Sports to mainstream DRR into school curriculum.
Lao Red Cross organized the School Safety lessons learnt workshop on 17-18 February 2016 in Vientiane, Lao PDR, for in-country partners to:
- share about their good practices
- identify gaps in promoting school safety
- discuss potential future collaboration.
- [English] Comprehensive School Safety by IFRC
- [Thai] School-based Risk Reduction by IFRC, which highlights the RCRC Handbook for School-Based Risk Reduction
- [Lao] School safety by Lao Red Cross, which highlights the program profile, implementation, issues, challenges and good practices.
- [Lao] Community-Based Disaster Risk Reduction in Khammuane by French Red Cross, which highlights the program profile, implementation, issues, challenges and good practices.
- [Lao] School safety or DRR at school by Oxfam, which highlights the program profile, implementation, issues, challenges and good practices.
- [Lao] Strategy and manual standards in school safety by Ministry of Education
- [Lao] Implementation of school safety project by Bolikhamsay Education Department, which highlights the issues, challenges, good practices and the map of the school in project which highlights the building hazards.
- [English] Field Study Visit of Myanmar Red Cross to Philippine Red Cross, which highlights the lessons learned from this visit.