The regional perspective
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies’ (IFRC) Disaster Law Programme seeks to reduce human vulnerability by promoting effective legal frameworks for disaster risk reduction and legal preparedness for disasters. It works in three main areas: collaboration with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and other partners to offer technical assistance to governments on disaster law issues; building the capacity of National Societies and other stakeholders in disaster law and; dissemination, advocacy and research.
In Southeast Asia, disaster law is part of an integrated approach to strengthening community resilience. Our work is undertaken in close collaboration with initiatives relating to disaster risk reduction, disaster management, humanitarian diplomacy, advocacy, gender and diversity, and communications. Our approach seeks to build capacity and sustainability within National Societies, while contributing to national and regional law and policy processes.
- 24 April - 27 April
- 2 February
- 30 November , 2016 8:00 am - 5:00 pm UTC+7
Roundtable Discussion on Housing, Land and Property (HLP) Regulatory Barriers to Shelter & Settlements: Philippine Red Cross Experience | 22-23 November 2016 | Manila, Philippines22 November , 2016 8:00 am - 23 November , 2016 5:00 pm UTC+7
- 12 October , 2016 8:00 am - 5:00 pm UTC+7
- Supporting National Societies to Contribute to Disaster Law Development
- The Handbook on Law and Disaster Risk Reduction
- The checklist on law and disaster risk reduction (pilot version – March 2015)
- Introduction to the Guidelines for the Domestic Facilitation and Regulation of International Disaster Relief and Initial Recovery Assistance (IDRL Guidelines)
- Model Act for the Facilitation and Regulation of International Disaster Relief and Initial Recovery Assistance (with commentary)
- Effective law and regulation for disaster risk reduction: a multi-country report
- Effective law and regulation for disaster risk reduction: a multi-country report (Summary)
- Strengthening Law and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) in Indonesia – Checklist Assessment Report [English] [Bahasa Indonesia]
- Tam Ky Compact – The Cooperative Commitment on Disaster Law in Tam Ky City
- Disaster Law Key Messages for Inclusive Community Participation – Philippine Red Cross
- International Disaster Response Law (IDRL) in Indonesia Report
- Vietnam: Country Case Study Report. How Law and Regulation Support Disaster Risk Reduction
- Disaster law in Southeast Asia – Summary of progress 2012 – 2015
- Disaster law Southeast Asia snapshot December 2015
- Country Snapshots on Disaster Law Development as of June 2015
- Report on Regional Disaster Law Forum of South-East Asia 2015
- Disaster law Southeast Asia snapshot June 2015
- Disaster law Southeast Asia snapshot January 2015
- Indonesia: Strengthening resilience through disaster law in Indonesia, published 9 June 2017
- Sydney: Disaster Law Field School, published 9 June 2017
- Cambodia: National Dissemination Workshop on Disaster Management Law, took place on 2 February 2017
- Philippines: Bringing disaster law to the people in the Philippines!, published December 2016.
- Indonesia: Launch of Disaster risk reduction and law: Checklist assessment report in Indonesia, published December 2016.
- Philippines: Roundtable discussion on housing, land and property (HLP) regulatory barriers to shelter & settlements: Philippine Red Cross experience, published in December 2016.
- Indonesia: On the path to resilience: Indonesia harnesses its laws to promote disaster risk reduction, published 30 Mar 2016.
- Vietnam and DPRK: When the two worlds meet: DPRK and Vietnam Red Cross Societies share disaster law experiences, published 15 December 2015.
- Cambodia: Momentum continues across the Mekong Region as Cambodia adopts new national disaster management law, published 17 July 2015.
- Timor-Leste: Disaster law breaks new ground in Timor Leste: recent developments highlight the need for stronger legal frameworks, 9 March 2015.
- Thailand: Process of Transformation: Thailand seeks stronger engagement and dialogue with international actors, from disaster management and response, to national reform, published 11 December 2014.
- Myanmar: International disaster response law makes headway in Myanmar, published 8 October 2014.
- Indonesia: IDRL issues featured in international table top exercise in West Sumatra, published 30 April 2013.