Following the National Dissemination Workshop on Disaster Management Law held last February, three sub-national dissemination workshops on Disaster Management Law were held in 3 different provinces in Cambodia: Pursat, Kampot and Kratie.
The three sub-national dissemination workshops (and the National level workshop) seeks to strengthen public awareness on the new disaster management law and increase understanding and cooperation in the implementation of the law and its relevant components. This includes implementation and cooperation in relation to risk reduction (also in accordance with Cambodia’s National Strategic Plan for DRR), preparedness for response and recovery as well as the awareness on climate change adaptation at national and sub-national levels. The dissemination workshops will familiarize participants with the most relevant components of the 2015 Disaster Management Law, especially with regard to roles, rights and responsibilities. The dissemination will also serve to reinforce and highlight the role of Cambodia Red Cross as a key community-based actor and partner of NCDM and the PCDMs.
The expected result of the national and subsequent sub-national workshops are to:
- Promote how the importance of the Disaster Management Law and how it can support the emergency
services, the Cambodian Red Cross, humanitarian agencies and the communities that they serve.
- Strengthen relations between government institutions, UN agencies, Cambodian Red Cross and other humanitarian agencies.
- Promote and raise awareness of the Disaster Management Law to key focal persons at national, provincial and Red Cross branches to carry out relief operations on time, and to improve accountability and effectiveness.
- To highlight links between the disaster management law and the national strategy for disaster risk reduction
The details of the sub national dissemination workshop location, participants and the outreach areas are:
- In Pursat Province on 12 July 2017, with 42 participants coming from Kampong Chhnang, Pursat, Pailin, Banteay Mean Chey, Battambang, Oddor Mean Chey, Siem Reap and Phnom Penh.
- In Kampot Province on 26 July 2017, with 50 participants coming from Koh Kong, Preah Sihanouk, Takeo, Kep, Kandal, Kampong Speu, Prey Veng, Kampot and Svay Rieng.
- In Kratie Province on 10 August 2017, with 45 participants coming from Kratie, Tbong Khmum, Rattanakiri, Mondulkiri, Stung Treng, Preah Vihear, Kampong Cham and Kampong Thom.
- Agenda and concept note
- Pamphlet – Cambodia Disaster Management Framework [English] [Cambodian/Khmer]
- Pamphlet – Know your Rights, Roles and Responsibility in Disaster Management [English] [Cambodian/Khmer]
- Powerpoint Presentation – Cambodia National Dissemination Workshop on Disaster Management Law [English] [Cambodian/Khmer]
- Walk-Through Scenario – Flooding in 8 Provinces in Mekong Region [English] [Cambodian/Khmer]
- National Dissemination Workshop on Disaster Management Law held last February in Cambodia
- Disaster Law