Southeast Asia Youth Network (SEAYN) launched the School Safety Mapping Exercise for Southeast Asia National Societies (NSs) on 25 January 2017 through online meeting, following the outcome of the forth SEAYN Annual Meeting held in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia in September 2016.
The mapping of the school safety programmes and activities within the ASEAN region is one of the ASEAN Safe Schools Initiative (ASSI), under the ASEAN Agreement on Disaster Management and Emergency Response (AADMER). It was endorsed by ASEAN Member States in the ASEAN Committee for Disaster Management (ACDM) meeting in 2016. Therefore, mapping of the NSs’ school safety programmes and activities will provide an evidence-based visibility to the role of the NSs and will strengthen their advocacy works.
The outcome of the mapping exercise will be an executive summary report (5-10 pages in English or national languages) presenting the key information of each NS as follow:
- Number of schools reached, and their geographic locations and types of intervention
- Number of children (girls and boys) reached
- The NS approach to school safety (including framework, policies, guidelines and tools)
- The NS partnership with government (national and local) and other organizations
- Impact Stories from headmasters, teachers, children, volunteers about Red Cross Societies’ school safety actions
- Quotes from NS’ leaders and opinion-makers about the value of developing safer environment in schools
Southeast Asia Youth Network (SEAYN) members will conduct 1-2 hour semi-structured interviews with various departments and focal points working with schools, including disaster management, health, water and sanitation, first aid, social welfare, organizational development and human resource departments. The results will be presented to the 2nd ASEAN School Safety Conference which will be held in Bangkok on 14-15 February 2017, as well as to the Southeast Asia Community Safety and Resilience Forum (CSRF) to be convened on 18-20 April 2017 in Malaysia.
- Concept note for school safety mapping
- Guidance note for school safety mapping
- Questionnaire for school safety