- This event has passed.
Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion in Emergencies (E-WASH) Training | 20-22 and 25-26 Sep 2017 | Oudomxay Province, Laos
20 September , 2017 8:00 am - 26 September , 2017 5:00 pm UTC+7
Oudomxay Province is located in the northern part and borders with China, with the population of 307,600 populations. In August 2016, the torrential heavy rain has triggered flood and flash flood in this area and affected at least 5,000 people. The flood has submerged several villages in Muang Xay, Pak Bang, Muang La, and Muang Houn Districts.
A Training of trainers (TOT) on Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Promotion in Emergencies (E-WASH) was organized in Oudomxay Province on 20-22 Sep 2017 for Lao Red Cross WASH focal staff in preparedness of disaster management and risk reduction, health and hygiene promotion in this disaster affected area. This training is followed by the training on Emergency WASH response and preparedness for Lao Red Cross Volunteers, 25-26 Sep 2017 in Houn District, Oudomxay Province.
The objectives of the trainings:
- To improve the knowledge and skills about water and hygiene related diseases of Red Cross Health personnel in 9 red cross provinces in the northern Lao PDR.
- To demonstrate the drinking water quality, water treatment and sanitation, hygiene promotion in emergencies.
- To be familiar with technical and practical on the processes of water treatment and water quality by using AP700 Man-Packs and practical on temporary emergency latrine / permanent latrine constructions during emergencies.
- To develop and discuss about E-WASH Planning at provincial and district levels in preparedness and response in emergencies.
These two trainings were the second batch after Khammoune Province in March 2017 for the Emergency WASH activities conducted by Health Promotion Department, Lao Red Cross and IFRC Bangkok office. The trainings focused on the key technical and practical sessions. The AP700 Man-Packs will be placed in Oudomxay Provincial Red Cross Branch to support for emergency responses for 9 provinces located in the northern part of Lao PDR.
View the training documents:
- Training objectives
- Water, sanitation and hygiene promotion (WASH) in emergencies
- Household water treatment and safe storage in emergencies
- Sphere standards and indicators on WASH
Final report of the activities:
- Report of the Training of trainers (TOT) on Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Promotion in Emergencies (E-WASH)
- Report of the Emergency WASH response and preparedness for Lao Red Cross Volunteers
For more information please contact: Dr Bounma Xayasouk, Head of Health Promotion Department, Lao Red Cross Headquarter: firstname.lastname@example.org and Dr Pornsak Khortwong, IFRC Bangkok: email@example.com