The Youth as Agents of Behavioural Change (YABC) Peer Educators training in Laos was held by facilitation of Youth and Volunteering Officer from IFRC together with two Thai Red Cross facilitators (one staff and one volunteer) on 12-16 December 2016 targeting 20 participants from the Ministry of Education, Red Cross HQ (DM, Health and Youth), Red Cross Youth Clubs from the high school and university, Youth Union and one staff from Thai Red Cross Youth Bureau. The training was supported by the IFRC CCST budget and inaugurated with the attendance of Vice President of Lao Red Cross, Thongphachanh.
Key Outcomes of the Training
- Participants had a clear understanding of YABC with knowledge, skills and practices.
- Participants developed their action plans and discussed about the collaboration between different stakeholders.
- Youth empowerment action for the community was planned for 2017 and IFRC will support this.
This training had two impacts:
1) Thai Red Cross YABC youth were mobilised to be co-facilitators under the coach of Youth and Volunteering Officer and gained facilitation experience and decided to roll out this programme in Thai RC youth activities.
2) It became one opportunity of partnership and advocacy between all youth stakeholders in Laos such as the Ministry of Education, Youth Union and RCY. They developed their joint actions to motivate the other youth to join the RC and community actions with high zeal.