The progress report details the progress of the research which has been initiated by IFRC with the ASEAN Committee on Disaster Management (ACDM) Working Group on Prevention and Mitigation in collaboration with their membership. It addresses the issues of gender and sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) in emergencies, with a specific focus on SGBV before, during and after disasters in the ASEAN region.
The research aims to:
- Directly contribute to component 6 of area 4 PROTECT in the AADMER Workplan and enhance implementation of ASEAN Agreements related to the themes of gender, trafficking in persons especially women and children, human rights and disaster management;
- Fill knowledge gaps by collecting data on and analyzing impacts of SGBV during and after disasters, including social and economic;
- Make practical humanitarian policy recommendations to support ASEAN Member States to meet commitments under the “Asia Regional Plan for Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030,” specifically Section V (Two-year action plan 2017-2018), Regional Level Actions part e) “Promote and support gender-sensitive DRR actions at national and local level including universal access to sexual and reproductive health-care services, prevention and response to gender-based violence and women‟s leadership.”
You might be interested in these resources:
- Concept note SGBV research project
- Epidemic Control for Volunteers – Pacific Toolkit – Disease Tool 1 You can Prevent Dengue, Chikungunya and Zika (May 2016)