- This event has passed.
Southeast Asia Gender and Diversity Network Meeting and Sexual and Gender-based Violence (SGBV) Training | 31 July – 4 August 2017 | Manila, Philippines
31 July , 2017 8:00 am - 4 August , 2017 5:00 pm UTC+7
Sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) is a life-threatening, global health and human rights issue. In December 2015, the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement adopted the joint Resolution on Sexual and Gender Based Violence: Joint Action on Prevention and Response. The Resolution outlines specific responsibilities for States, National Societies, IFRC and the ICRC in prevention and response to SGBV. One of the key elements of the resolution is to strengthen the capacity of Red Cross and Red Crescent staff and volunteers to prevent, mitigate and respond to SGBV in emergencies. Subsequently, the IFRC has developed a global training module on SGBV that will be rolled-out in the Asia-Pacific region during 2017. Before the training in Southeast Asia, this training has been pilot tested with the South Asia network in May 2017 and with the Pacific network in July 2017 and feedback incorporated to enhance the training modules.
The objectives of the Southeast Asia Gender and Diversity Network meeting and Training are:
- To provide professional development training for all network members, (and for additional Southeast Asia National Society staff) on IFRC’s Sexual and Gender Based Violence in Emergencies training module to build staff capacities and to allow participants to facilitate training in their respective NS for management, staff and volunteers.
- To bring together members of the Southeast Asia Gender and Diversity network to share experiences, update knowledge, discuss issues/problems and identify solutions. A key outcome of this network meeting will be to prepare annual Gender and Diversity action plans for promoting and institutionalizing gender and diversity work in their respective National Societies as well as a sustainability plan for the network itself.
Presentations and other resources:
- Training Skills – Participant’s Handbook
- Day 1 presentations which include:
- Session 1 : Introduction
- Session 2: Key concepts on gender-based violence (GBV) and what the Red Cross Red Crescent can offer to support survivors of SGBV
- Session 3: Completing a situational analysis
- Day 2 presentations which include:
- Session 4: Review and discussion
- Session 5: GBV mitigation and response – with a focus on psychosocial support/health and the IFRC minimum standards
- Session 6: Basic monitoring of SGBV approaches
- Day 3 presentations which include:
- Session 7: Internal protection systems
- Session 8: Basic staff care
- Day 4 presentations which include:
- Session 9: Action planning
- Session 10: SGBV training
- Session 11: Evaluation and next steps
A story of this training is available from ifrc.org at this link.