Lao Red Cross (LRC) has conducted an internal lesson learned workshop during a planning meeting in Attapeu on 14 March 2019.
Participants: 17 persons, from headquarters and Attapeu Chapter including the leads from the Disaster Management, Health, International Relations, Finance, and Administrations departments.
Objective: To discuss what went well, challenges and recommendations consolidated from the beginning of the operation until the end of the emergency phase.
Outcome: The workshop allowed participants to discuss and review about the operation. The participants were divided into two groups, each had representatives from both headquarters and chapter.
Group 1’s discussion:
What went well:
* LRC HQ established a flood response committee
* Good support from partners
* Strong Communication with different sectors
* Received Fund and budget from society and others
* No previous experience to face such kind of disaster (this is the first-time floods happened due to dam collapse in Laos)
* Poor road condition and difficult to access.
* Not enough vehicles and rescue equipment
* Unclear communication between HQ and Provincial level
* Lack of skilled and experienced HR
* There are some gaps on the operation
* Should have a clear plan and strategy to implement activities.
* Build capacity to all staffs who focus on emergency response.
* Support operation equipment
* Build a strong relationship with partners and other stakeholders
* Support allowance to staffs and volunteers who work so hard for the operation.
Group 2’s discussion:
What went well:
* All staffs have responsibilities on their own work
* There is some discussion and planning among the team
* Good communication with other partners
* There is teamwork within the organization
* Received relief items and equipment
* Good support from partners (IFRC, German Red Cross, Swiss Red Cross, Thai Red Cross Society, etc)
* Road condition is poor and difficult to access.
* Most of the staff has no experiences in emergency response
* There was no emergency plan of action (Fund, People, equipment…)
* Uncleared communication system
* Shortage of rescue equipment and vehicle
* Lack of preparation for flood response
* Emergency response plan needs to exist
* Trained volunteer should be in place in each area/chapter so that they can respond immediately
* LRC should create a volunteer system under Red Cross chapter
* Should have enough rescue equipment and vehicles
* Capacity building for staff and volunteers about Disaster Management/ Disaster Risk Reduction/Disaster Response Management