The powerpoint presentation was delivered in AHA Center of Excellence (ACE) Programme in 2015, to the members of National Disaster Management Offices of ASEAN State members. AHA Center stands for ASEAN Coordinating Centre for Humanitarian Assistance.
The presentation covers shelter definition, things to consider, shelter cluster: coordination, challenges, functions, roles, activities.
The presentation highlights Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies approach:
- Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies are usually the first responders after a disaster delivering emergency relief – food, Non-food items (NFI) and first aid support.
- As part of the emergency relief National Societies implement a wide range shelter responses including tents, tarpaulins and household NFI.
- Often National Societies are also part of longer term recovery programmes which include repairing and rebuilding permanent houses.
The presentation also describes the role IFRC takes as Shelter Cluster “convener”, its objectives, functions and coordination.
Usage: Guidance for implementation
Audience: National Society staff
You might be interested in these resources:
- Recovery Programming: building back better and enhancing resilience
- Cash transfer programming: Guidelines for mainstreaming and preparedness