In order to add value to the School Based Disaster Risk Reduction project in Myanmar funded by Hong Kong Red Cross, Myanmar Red Cross conducted Youth in School Safety Facilitators training for a purpose of integration between Disaster Management and Organizational Development/Youth as the youth empowerment initiative.
Objectives of the Workshop
- To enhance the capacity of Myanmar Red Cross School Safety with meaningful involvement of youth volunteers to be facilitators in order to roll out school safety initiative into all schools over the country through the Regional Youth in School Safety tool.
- To provide an opportunity to youth and volunteers to expand Red Cross Youth clubs and junior Red Cross youth members to join the Red Cross programmes with a children-friendly training module.
The Youth in School Safety Facilitators training in Myanmar was held on 5-8 December 2016. It was facilitated by Youth and Volunteering Officer, DRR Officer and two Myanmar RC youth facilitators as co-facilitators in close cooperation with the OD and DM department of MRCS.
Key Outcomes of the Training
- Participants had clear understanding of the school safety framework with 3 pillars, and the concept of school safety action.
- Participants became the first-time facilitators in school safety through the demonstration at school and built confidence to continue to be youth facilitators
- Participants developed their action plans to extend this programme to their communities/towns with their own resources and with the practice of the guide.
Finally, the OD and DM department recognized the youth facilitators as key players for their School Safety programme and appreciated the training module and would like to integrate this module into School Safety programme from 2017 onwards.